Thursday, October 13, 2011

[Insert Pretentious/Hipster Title]

a.k.a. Two Things I Hate & One Thing I Like

To Google, Facebook, et al.
Screw you. Life is not one giant threaded conversation. Let each conversation exist on it's own.

To movies where the 'lovable loser' falls for his second choice 'or the girl that's always really loved him'.
You suck.

Okay, enough bitching and onto things that I like. Namely: style. Not clothing style, or hair style, or who-knows-what-else style, but writing style. Finding a writer whose style I like is ... one of those ineffable things that I love more than so much else. It's sinister.* It's not hard to come up with an interesting story idea (unless your Hollywood) and anyone with a hammer and sickle can pound away till they harvest 200 pages of something. To develop a writing style, however, is not easy. It's hard enough to break past your influences and you have to wallow in them for a while anyway until something new is birthed.

I thought I saw some signs of a new style tonight (not in my writing ... it's still soaked in placenta) which is exciting.

As I've rambled a bit about style, I should list some of my style heroes. In no particular order they are Jorge Louis Borges, Hunter S. Thompson, William S. Burroughs, & Kurt Vonnegut. The ampersand is from HST and the ellipses from WSB. The scary thing about studying your favorite writers is that you see what they are and that can be a bit unsettling. In order, my style heroes are: normal (at least there's one!), drug addict trapped in a fictional creation of himself, pan-sexual heroin addict who accidentally killed his wife, & a smoker who was in Dresden when the bombs fell. Nothing I really aspire to. There is no Heroin chic.

Style reminds me what is so great about the world in the first place; and that is ... **** if i know. Ho Ho. Semi-colon used in remembrance of Kurt Vonnegut.

This is getting long and not getting anywhere so let's end it.

Addendum 1: If I could be anyone else it would be Richard Ashcroft.
Addendum 2: I'm not the only one who's paranoid (write word) of going blind?
Addendum 3: Bad puns are my father's fault.

*This is a reference to both Allen Ginsberg and an unnamed artist.

2 comments:

  1. Sinister - good word! =)

    It drives me crazy too that Facebook combines all messages into one massive thread.

    And if you think this post was too long I don't even want to think about how long mine are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of you posts (cf. DB & Hipster glasses post ... which is a funny image) may be longer, but they are saying something & have structure. This one just was starting to ramble to I had to warp it up.

    ReplyDelete