Tuesday, October 25, 2011

But Why is the Rum Gone? Or 3/5 Mile in Ten Seconds?

I decided it was time for another blog, but I have no idea where to take this thing. As such, I'll begin with what I'm doing right now (or was doing before I stopped to type): (1) listening to KMFDM, (2) reading 'The Rum Diary', (3) playing with Play-Doh, and (4) being thankful I have rum and ice.

(1) KMFDM: More people should listen to industrial music. It's very danceable and, often, very funny. Plus it has the sociopolitical commentary you find in punk music (aside: the Sex Pistols are the, note the definite article, punk band).

(2) The Rum Diary: I haven't read this in a while and I cannot get over how incredible well written this is. It makes me feel very small indeed. The more apropos point is that I have been thinking about opening sentences and how tough they can be. The opening lines I write tend to be self referential (see above). The one real exception is when I fail at writing poems. There is only one opening bit I've ever written that I really like, but it's much too obscene for this venue.

(3) Play-Doh: In making a Halloween basket for my niece I decided to include Play-Doh because I didn't want it to be all diabetes inducing fare; I did include some M&Ms though. Overpriced Dora the Explorer stickers also made it in basket. Which leads me to wonder: does Lou Dobbs go mad with rage whenever he hears of Dora? I was working with black, white, & purple which, when combined, can create some very interesting abstract-expressionist-esque results. Maybe I'll post pictures...

(4) Rum & Ice: The only germane beverage when reading 'The Rum Diary' would be rum & ice, wouldn't it?

Now that I've written this little bit I have two ideas for future blogs: (1) the necessity of suffering for human identity/pleasure and (2) an idea that has failed to catch the train to long term memory. I'm not really sure if anyone reads this, but please goad me if you do (& find them of some value). Please direct any notice of typos or grammatical errors to the Rum...

No comments:

Post a Comment