Sunday, August 1, 2010

Society Circles

Let me begin by noting how much I despise end notes. Why must I flip forward three hundred pages and then back as much just to get a little information? Make it a footnote and end the misanthropy. Now let us (or me, as it is my pen making the markings) move on.

It has been my theory that societies operate as circles. Societies are groups of people (countries, business, friends, etc) that operate (live) within a demarcated area. When a society forms it is a “circle” of individuals with a similar enough set of beliefs that allow them to live (and hopefully) prosper together. Over time, however, the circle gets smaller as the beliefs of the individuals become less compatible. For example, the split into factions we could call “Democrats” and “Republicans.” Eventually the circle gets so small that there are significantly more people outside the circle than in. It is at this point that the process needs to start again.

Recently, though, I realized that this theory was too narrow, or maybe, two dimensional. Unexpectedly, this revelation was born from the movie SPUN. If you haven’t seen the movie it is a three day speed experience following a meth addict (Ross) acting as a chauffeur for a cook (someone who “cooks
up the methamphetamines). My first thought was that this is a sub culture, a sub-circle, existing within or under the main circle that is America. Everyone in the meth circle interacts and influences people outside the circle. There are the cooks (and smurfs) who increase pseudoephedrine sales. There are also users who interactive with an effect non-users.

This makes me think that instead of a circle, a society is a series of interconnected rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment